Old Rope Music Group – Head of Technology Development (UK)
Reports to: General Manager
Type of position: Full-time, permanent
Salary: £50,000 – £60,000
Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday
Location: Hybrid (UK based) – split between working from home and our office in Banbury, Oxfordshire.
Deadline: Monday, September 5
Thank you for your interest in joining Old Rope Music Group.
Old Rope Music Group helps people through music. We deliver thousands of albums, playlists and videos to millions of people around the world through digital streaming services and mobile apps. Every day, our content is streamed millions of times, providing a soundtrack to people’s lives.
From ambient music and binaural beats to soothing nature sounds and specialized music for focus and sleep, our music makes a real difference for people throughout the day.
We are looking for an experienced Technical Lead who can take ownership of our technology and build a world-class feature from scratch. You will help us grow our business rapidly by leading the end-to-end implementation and development of our technology, from databases and production systems to marketing stacks and customer journey attribution.
As a strategic thinker with exceptional delivery credentials, you will turn our vision into reality, defining and delivering a technology roadmap and driving a step change in our technology that enables and supports our teams to deliver and grow.
A clear communicator and accomplished relationship builder, you will excel when working in partnership with a range of colleagues and external partners to define and achieve common goals and have a reputation for informing and empowering through the application of your technical expertise and your broad frame of reference.
You will be a credible, inspiring and pragmatic thought leader, with a development style and an aptitude for sharing and integrating best practices.
It’s your chance to make your mark at a company that makes a difference to people every day through music. If you feel you bring the experience, passion and drive to succeed in this new role, we look forward to hearing from you.
As a company, we practice what we preach. We are a world leader in what we do, and we are rapidly growing our business and expanding into new areas. Our young and creative team is forward-thinking, progressive and inclusive. Our brands are committed to doing good in the world, and our ethics guide us every day. We are looking for someone to be a key part of this and move us forward.
So if you are enthusiastic, energetic and creative and would like to join us, please apply today by submitting a CV along with a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how you meet the criteria.
We encourage people from diverse backgrounds with different experiences, skills and histories to join us and grow Old Rope Records.
We look forward to hearing from you.
- Shape Old Rope Music Group’s digital, data and technology architecture for the future, support and enable the rapid growth of Old Rope Music Group; responsible for the delivery of services in support of the strategy
- Make a radical change in the technological capacity of Old Rope Music Group; our ambition is for high-quality data to drive our decisions and our technology infrastructure enables us to design and deliver exceptional products and services
- Resolve legacy issues to update ORMG’s technology assets for governance, access and efficiency
Leadership and team management:
- Create and maintain a versatile and scalable technology function by identifying human and technology resource gaps, finding and recruiting the right people for Old Rope Music Group technology projects
- Manage the technology team by recruiting and training employees, communicating job expectations and monitoring performance
Data and Analytics:
- Develop and implement effective and streamlined policies, processes, databases and solutions to capture, store and analyze data so that the company can make informed decisions on business strategy
- Evaluate and document database changes or improvements
- Ensure the proper functioning of data collection software and Internet applications at all times
- Interpret and explain complex data to key stakeholders at all levels to support everyone and for clarity/verification purposes
Technology and infrastructure management:
- Evaluate systems and recommend necessary software, hardware and storage upgrades, and be responsible for their implementation and maintenance
- Establish the foundation of languages, toolkits, libraries and platforms to facilitate the creation of reliable, supportable and scalable solutions.
- Establish standards, practices and code implementation models for the use of relevant technology
- Set standards for infrastructure strategy, implementation, active monitoring, and fault resolution.
- Test, troubleshoot and modify information systems so that they operate effectively
- Oversee the complete software development process, from design to deployment
- Maintain and update software after deployment
- Manage the end-to-end lifecycle for software and application production
- Oversee technical development work, across front-end and back-end
- Work with other business teams to understand requirements, estimate and scope projects
- Oversee the testing process and provide feedback to management
- Edit and test changes to previously developed programs
- Research, learn and implement new methodologies and technologies to continuously improve and optimize design, code, build, deployment and test lifecycle
- Act as lead architect with regards to enterprise architecture for custom websites, system integrations and mobile applications
- Research emerging technologies, prototype systems, assess feasibility, and delegate related tasks internally or to third-party contractors and vendors to resolve technical issues
- Act as a technical stakeholder for existing products by identifying risks and advocating for product refactorings, rewrites and retirements
- Ensure that all data management and technology activities are performed within the parameters of applicable laws, codes and regulations
- Assess technology risks to prevent failures, develop disaster recovery plans and back up procedures
Brand, messaging and reputation management:
- Support the brand and marketing team to build and protect our brand and assets
- Act as the guardian of the brand, ensuring the consistency and quality of all operations.
The above list of responsibilities is not exhaustive and you may be required to undertake other responsibilities and training as requested by your line manager and appropriate to your role.
Person specification/qualifications and training
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, economics, information management or statistics, or another relevant field, and relevant experience in software development, deployment management and infrastructure management
- Proven 4 years of experience in a similar role, with evidence of implementing a transformation or stage change
- Proven ability to build data and technology solutions for a rapidly growing business, as well as operational experience to lead the delivery of multiple programs
- Demonstrable experience identifying resource gaps and building high performing teams to solve technology challenges
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the benefits and value that effective use of data can bring to the business and its customers
- Demonstrable experience delivering agile and successfully driving change and transformation programs
Familiarity with relevant stacks, programs and databases
- Working knowledge and understanding of industry standards, security issues and processes, including the ability to apply cybersecurity, data protection laws and regulations, and business continuity principles.
- An understanding of the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental factors that may have implications for Old Rope Music Group
- Experience in analyzing large datasets
Communicate with others
- Confident approach with good interpersonal skills, able to build effective working relationships with people at all levels of the company
- Ability to manage existing relationships and create new ones
- Comfortable guidance and participation in collaborative discussions
- Collaborate well with other departments
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and presentation and ability to communicate and convey messages and information in a clear and accessible style to different audiences
- Fluent in English
Personal qualities and other requirements
- A strong quality ethic – experience raising standards, implementing controls and effectively challenging people to find common sense solutions to problems and deliver high quality results
- Proven ability to manage multiple areas of work at once, prioritizing and meeting deadlines while managing competing demands
- Very organized with attention to detail
- Take initiatives and seize opportunities
- Adaptable in a dynamic and changing environment
- Excellent project management skills
- Methodical approach to work and experience meeting deadlines
- Self-starting and self-directed
Experience in the music industry and/or digital streaming services is an advantage
How to register
To apply for this position, please send a CV to [email protected] as well as a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how you meet the criteria.
For an informal chat, please contact Chris Higgins, Managing Director, at [email protected]