East Kingston Fire Department extinguishes shed fire

For immediate release

EAST KINGSTON – Chief Ed Warren reports that the East Kingston Fire Department responded to a fire in a shed on Monday evening and was able to prevent significant damage to the adjoining home.

At approximately 5:15 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to 67 Haverhill Road for a report of a hangar fire. Several firefighters were working a daily shift at the time and were on the scene within three minutes of being called.

Upon arrival, crews found a fire in a shed attached to the house. The fire also ignited several propane tanks on the property and spread to a 35-foot RV next to the shed, as well as the home.

A first alarm was sounded bringing mutual aid from the Newton, Kensington, South Hampton, Brentwood and Seabrook Fire Departments, as well as the Merrimac, Massachusetts Fire Department. The Epping Fire Department also sent an ambulance to the scene to provide rehabilitation services.

The firefighters intervened to put out the fire and prevent it from spreading in the house. They cleared the scene around 7:30 p.m.

A firefighter sustained a hand injury and was taken to an area hospital as a precaution. The owner was able to leave the house safely.

The adjoining shed and motorhome sustained significant damage due to the fire. Part of the house was damaged, but it’s not a total loss. The electricity has been cut off at the house as a precaution and the owner will be able to return to the house once the power is restored.

The Kingston and Epping Fire Departments also provided station coverage during the incident.

Initial investigation indicates the fire is not suspicious and may have originated from a lawn mower.

“The mutual aid system is a crucial part of the fire department, and I want to thank all the departments who responded to help us on the scene and covered our station this evening,” Chief Warren said. “Thanks to the efficient and effective work of all the firefighters on the scene, we were able to prevent any further damage to the house.”

###

Comments are closed.